nationsobserver.com

Nation Observer

Nation Observer

Subscribe Now
Log in
Menu
  • France
  • Europe
  • Switzerland
  • Business
  • International
  • Sports
  • UN
Home Europe

Spain finds suspected hantavirus case in Alicante

cudhfrance@gmail.com by cudhfrance@gmail.com
May 8, 2026
in Europe
0
Spain finds suspected hantavirus case in Alicante



Spanish authorities said Friday a woman had been tested for suspected hantavirus after travelling on the same flight as a Dutch woman who stayed on the MV Hondius cruise ship and later died from the virus.

The woman has “symptoms mainly related to coughing while she was in her family home” in the eastern city of Alicante, Spanish secretary of state for health Javier Padilla told journalists.

She was placed in “an isolation room” in hospital, which carried out a PCR test that will be analysed at the National Microbiology Centre, said Padilla. Those results “we hope to have in the first 24 hours”, he added.

“We must say this is a pretty unlikely case, a person was found who was two rows behind the person who died with hantavirus,” said Padilla.

Airline KLM said on Wednesday that the deceased Dutch woman — the wife of the first person to die in the hantavirus outbreak on the Hondius — had briefly been on a plane bound from Johannesburg to the Netherlands on April 25.

She was removed before take-off and died on April 26 in a Johannesburg hospital and later tested positive for hantavirus.

Spain says first evacuees from hantavirus ship will be repatriated on Sunday

Passengers aboard a cruise ship affected by a deadly hantavirus outbreak will start being flown to their countries of origin after the vessel arrives in the Canary Islands on Sunday, the Spanish government said Friday.

The MV Hondius is scheduled to reach the port of Granadilla on the island of Tenerife, off the coast of West Africa, on Sunday morning, cabinet minister Ángel Víctor Torres told journalists.

“That same day, we will have planes available and will be able to start getting these people onto the planes,” he said.

Interior ministry sources had earlier said evacuations would begin on Monday, with European Union countries repatriating their own citizens.

The fate of the MV Hondius has prompted international concern after it emerged that three people on board have died since the vessel departed Argentina in April.

Three unwell passengers were removed from the ship on Wednesday off Cape Verde, before it continued to the Canary Islands with nearly 150 people from 23 countries still on board.

Health minister Monica García said foreign nationals showing symptoms, if they do not require urgent medical care, would be evacuated to their home countries under arrangements made by their respective governments.

“We are taking all the decisions we need to take, always knowing that we must assess all possible scenarios,” she said in an interview with Spanish public television.

Spanish authorities have said the ship will anchor off Tenerife and will not be allowed to dock, with passengers transferred to the port by a smaller vessel.

They will then be taken to the nearby airport by bus, Spain’s head of emergency services, Virginia Barcones, told public broadcaster TVE.

“In principle, these are asymptomatic individuals who will not require special transport,” she said.

Read More

Previous Post

Hier kommen Wellness-Wanderer auf ihre Kosten

Next Post

‘Every Bird Counts:’ How city residents can help protect migratory birds

Next Post
‘Every Bird Counts:’ How city residents can help protect migratory birds

‘Every Bird Counts:’ How city residents can help protect migratory birds

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Fadi Selwan, Deputy CEO at Meridiam – "What distinguishes Meridiam is our vision as a very long-term investor"
  • Swiss Rail to expand offer to Italy and France
  • France tops European foreign investment ranking despite wider slowdown
  • Marcus Rashford’s Statement Clears Up Man United ‘Snub’ After England Call Up
  • Moment SpaceX rocket explodes in the Indian Ocean after splashdown

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Facebook X-twitter Youtube

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Cart
  • Checkout
  • Home
  • My account
  • Shop

© 2026 Nation Observer - Designed & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin.