nationsobserver.com

Nation Observer

Nation Observer

Subscribe Now
Log in
Menu
  • France
  • Europe
  • Switzerland
  • Business
  • International
  • Sports
  • UN
Home UN

Security Council holds closed-door talks following attacks on United Arab Emirates

cudhfrance@gmail.com by cudhfrance@gmail.com
May 6, 2026
in UN
0
Security Council holds closed-door talks following attacks on United Arab Emirates



He was speaking shortly after the Under-Secretary-General for Political and Peacebuilding Affairs, Rosemary DiCarlo, briefed a closed-door Security Council meeting focused on the missile and drone attacks on the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Monday.

UAE said that Iran had been responsible for the attacks but Tehran on Tuesday denied involvement. 

“Ms. DiCarlo underscored that from the start of the conflict on 28 February, the Secretary-General condemned all unlawful attacks in the Middle East and beyond,” he said.

Ongoing diplomatic engagement 

Furthermore, UN chief António Guterres has also stressed that Security Council resolution 2817 (2026) “must be respected and civilians and civilian infrastructure must be protected.” 

The resolution, adopted in March, came in the wake of Iranian attacks on several neighbouring countries. 

Mr. Dujarric said the Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy for the Middle East conflict, Jean Arnault, continues diplomatic consultations in the region and was scheduled to meet with the Turkish foreign minister on Wednesday. 

He underscored that “the United Nations remains committed to supporting all efforts aimed at a comprehensive and durable resolution of this conflict.” 

Regional security threatened: Bahrain

The Security Council meeting was requested by Bahrain following the Iranian attacks on the UAE which struck an oil terminal in Fujairah, causing damage and civilian casualties. 

The Ambassadors of both countries held a press stakeout prior to the meeting. 

Bahrain’s Ambassador Jamal Fares Alrowaiei said the “heinous attacks” were “part of a deliberate and escalating pattern of destabilising conduct that threatens the security and stability of the Gulf region.” 

They also marked a “clear violation” of resolution 2817 (2026) “and further demonstrate continued non-compliance by Iran to that resolution.” 

No ‘isolated incident’: UAE 

The UAE’s Ambassador, Mohamed Abushahab, told reporters that Iran launched 12 ballistic missiles, three cruise missiles and four UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles, or drones) which resulted in a fire in the Fujairah oil industry zone that affected critical civilian energy infrastructure. 

“UAE air defenses successfully intercepted the majority of these threats, limiting the damage. Nevertheless, three civilians were injured,” he said. 

He stressed that “this was not an isolated incident” as the UAE “has intercepted over 500 ballistic missiles, nearly 30 cruise missiles and more than 2,000 UAVs launched from Iran” since 28 February, when the crisis in the Strait of Hormuz began.  

Vessels still being attacked 

Moreover, commercial vessels in the key maritime corridor continue to be attacked.  

“And what happens in the Strait of Hormuz does not stay in the Strait of Hormuz,” he said. “It affects energy markets, supply chains, food prices and economic stability across the globe.” 

The UAE Ambassador called for the Security Council “to act decisively in response to Iran’s violations and the clear threat they pose to international peace and security,” emphasising “this is why this moment matters.” 

Meanwhile, the International Maritime Organization (IOM) confirmed an attack on a French vessel, the San Antonio, in the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday which injured eight seafarers. 

The agency has confirmed 32 incidents and 10 fatalities to date.

Read More

Previous Post

Commission report praises smooth and efficient introduction of the euro in Bulgaria

Next Post

BT Exclusive: From JEE tutor to defence tech founder how olee.space delivered one of India’s first start up built laser weapons

Next Post
BT Exclusive: From JEE tutor to defence tech founder how olee.space delivered one of India’s first start up built laser weapons

BT Exclusive: From JEE tutor to defence tech founder how olee.space delivered one of India's first start up built laser weapons

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • FAA says it failed to address warning signals before fatal 2025 Washington D.C. collision
  • Commission welcomes political agreement on the rights of adults in need of protection in cross-border situations
  • Altersvorsorge Säule-3a: Schweizer haben wenig auf dem Konto
  • Éric Cantona takes centre stage at the Cannes Film Festival – arts24
  • 2026 Indy 500 Odds: Pole-sitter Alex Palou Favored, Pato O’Ward Second

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Facebook X-twitter Youtube

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Cart
  • Checkout
  • Home
  • My account
  • Shop

© 2026 Nation Observer - Designed & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin.