nationsobserver.com

Nation Observer

Nation Observer

Subscribe Now
Log in
Menu
  • France
  • Europe
  • Switzerland
  • Business
  • International
  • Sports
  • UN
Home Business

Oil markets see $7 billion bearish bets ahead of Trump Iran announcements

cudhfrance@gmail.com by cudhfrance@gmail.com
May 7, 2026
in Business
0
Oil markets see  billion bearish bets ahead of Trump Iran announcements


The timing of the positions coincided with multiple announcements that triggered sharp oil price movements, including delays in military action, ceasefire talks, and discussions around the Strait of Hormuz. The identities of the traders remain unknown, and regulatory agencies have not officially commented.

The timing of the positions coincided with multiple announcements that triggered sharp oil price movements, including delays in military action, ceasefire talks, and discussions around the Strait of Hormuz. The identities of the traders remain unknown, and regulatory agencies have not officially commented.

A series of well-timed market bets on falling oil prices totalling as much as $7 billion during March and April spread across multiple exchanges and types of fuel and derivatives just before major Iranian policy announcements by U.S. President Donald Trump, according to traders, market experts and Reuters analysis of exchange data.

The size exceeds previously reported bets amounting to $2.6 billion, which have already prompted the U.S. administration to warn staff against using nonpublic information for financial benefit. The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) is investigating, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters in April, although the CFTC has yet to officially confirm a probe is underway.

Exchanges and instruments under scrutiny

Reuters could not establish who placed the bets and whether they originated in the U.S. or elsewhere. They included short positions, or bets that prices would fall, for derivatives including ICE, CME crude, diesel and gasoline futures.

The bets took place on two major exchanges that host benchmark global oil and fuel futures trade: the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE) and Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME). Both exchanges declined to comment. The CME is investigating the trades, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Suspicious timing ahead of Trump policy announcements

Traders first spotted unusual trades on March 23. The trades were executed minutes before Trump announced a delay to threatened attacks on Iranian power infrastructure, triggering an oil price fall.

The same pattern repeated on April 7, before Trump announced a ceasefire with Iran that triggered a fall of as much as 15% in benchmark ICE Brent futures. It happened again on April 17, when Iranian officials and Trump spoke about reopening the Strait of Hormuz, and then again on April 21, when Trump extended the ceasefire.

Reuters and other media reported those trades on the most actively traded front-month contracts for the two global crude benchmarks, Brent and West Texas Intermediate. The value of those bets on those four days in March and April stood at around $2.6 billion, according to Reuters initial calculations.

Regulatory probes and unanswered questions

The U.S. Justice Department, CFTC and White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Published on May 7, 2026

Read More

Previous Post

Oil, plastics and climate: Why higher prices could speed a materials transition

Next Post

Trump gives EU ultimatum deadline to approve trade deal with US

Next Post
Trump gives EU ultimatum deadline to approve trade deal with US

Trump gives EU ultimatum deadline to approve trade deal with US

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Wizz Air launches new flight routes between Spain and Italy
  • Entlastung für wenige, teuer für alle Kantone
  • Ingérences israéliennes contre LFI : l’État reconnaît, mais temporise
  • Hot Diggity Dog! How to Pick the Incomparable Wienie 500
  • Far-right Israeli minister condemned for taunting handcuffed Gaza flotilla activists

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Facebook X-twitter Youtube

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Cart
  • Checkout
  • Home
  • My account
  • Shop

© 2026 Nation Observer - Designed & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin.