nationsobserver.com

Nation Observer

Nation Observer

Subscribe Now
Log in
Menu
  • France
  • Europe
  • Switzerland
  • Business
  • International
  • Sports
  • UN
Home France

Shock threat by billionaire Bolloré’s Canal+ group rocks French cinema

cudhfrance@gmail.com by cudhfrance@gmail.com
May 18, 2026
in France
0
Shock threat by billionaire Bolloré’s Canal+ group rocks French cinema



The head of France’s biggest film producer, Canal+, said on Sunday that the group would no longer work with 600 industry professionals who signed a petition against right-wing billionaire owner Vincent Bolloré.

The announcement, made at the Cannes Film Festival, is likely to send shockwaves through the European industry at the annual gathering of the world’s movie elite on the French Riviera.

“I experienced that petition as an injustice toward the Canal+ teams, who are committed to defending the independence of Canal+ and the full diversity of its choices,” chief executive Maxime Saada said on Sunday in Cannes.

“I will no longer work with and I no longer want Canal to work with the people who signed that petition,” he added.

The petition called people to mobilise against “the growing grip of the far right” on the film industry under the influence of Bolloré and the Canal+ group.

Signatories included French superstar Juliette Binoche as well as director Arthur Harari, who co-wrote the Oscar-winning Anatomy of a Fall in 2023 and is premiering his film The Unknown in the main competition in Cannes.

Emmanuel Marre, whose film A Man Of His Time about France’s collaboration under Nazi rule, is also in the Cannes competition and also signed the petition.

The tumult mirrors similar upheaval in the media and publishing worlds where Bolloré, a conservative close to far-right politicians, is reshaping businesses he controls from television channels to publishing houses.

In a sign of Bolloré’s divisive reputation, the Canal+ logo was booed in Cannes at some screenings this year, including for the opening film The Electric Kiss.

Last month more than 100 authors at the Bolloré-owned Grasset publishing group, home to some of the biggest names in French literature, said they would leave after the ousting of its long-time CEO.

Bolloré’s aggressive expansion into the French media in recent years has been cheered by conservatives as rebalancing what they see as long-standing left-wing bias.

The billionaire, a devout Catholic who made his money in logistics, has been frequently compared by commentators to Australian-born US media mogul Rupert Murdoch, with the Bolloré-owned CNews news channel bearing similarities to US network Fox News.

Read More

Previous Post

Dabble Promo Code FOX: Get a $10 No Deposit Bonus for Game 7 Cavaliers vs. Pistons

Next Post

Diabetes: Geneva scientists move towards an insulin-free future

Next Post
Diabetes: Geneva scientists move towards an insulin-free future

Diabetes: Geneva scientists move towards an insulin-free future

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • SMS-Blaster: Post-Paket verpasst – aktuelle Warnungen 2026
  • G7 ministers meet in Paris to seek common ground on China and Middle East war
  • Sleeper Promo Code FOXSPORTS: Get a $20 Free Bonus for Pistons vs. Cavaliers Game 7
  • From escaping child marriage ‘to an old pervert’ to becoming Sierra Leone’s first lady
  • Morgan Stanley’s Wilson Warns Stock Rally at Risk From Bond Rout

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Facebook X-twitter Youtube

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Cart
  • Checkout
  • Home
  • My account
  • Shop

© 2026 Nation Observer - Designed & Developed by Immanuel Kolwin.