China will purchase at least $17 billion in U.S. agricultural products annually through 2028, in addition to soybean commitments already agreed to, the White House said in a fact sheet released Sunday.
The announcement followed President Donald Trump’s visit to Beijing last week for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping and was among the few concrete deliverables from a summit Trump had pitched in March as a “monumental event.”
The White House also said China has renewed expired registrations for more than 400 U.S. beef facilities and added new listings, while working with U.S. regulators to lift suspensions on the remaining plants, a move aimed at widening market access for American farmers. And they said China has resumed poultry imports from U.S. states that the U.S. Department of Agriculture determined are free of avian influenza.
The new agricultural purchases would add to soybean commitments reached after Trump and Xi struck a broader trade truce negotiated during their October 2025 summit in Busan, South Korea. As part of that agreement, China committed to purchase 25 million metric tons of U.S. soybeans annually through 2028 while both countries paused a wider tariff escalation.
On Iran, both countries agreed Iran cannot get ahold of a nuclear weapon, that the Strait of Hormuz shipping corridor should reopen, and that no country or group should be allowed to charge tolls.
Both countries have also agreed to establish a board of trade to manage commerce in non-sensitive sectors and the board of investment, according to the Sunday fact sheet, which the White House says will provide a “government-to-government forum” to discuss investment-related issues.
And China agreed to an initial purchase of 200 Boeing aircraft, according to the release. The country will also address restrictions on the sale of rare earth production and processing equipment and technologies, the fact sheet said, without providing any further details.
The update came two days after Trump concluded a state visit to China for talks with Xi, after which Trump told reporters tariffs had not been discussed.
But that appears to contradict a statement from China’s commerce ministry from Saturday, which said the two sides had reached a preliminary agreement to reduce some tariffs and also confirmed agricultural and aircraft deals, though it did not provide specifics.
As part of the summit, both sides “agreed to promote two-way trade, including in agricultural products, through arrangements such as mutual tariff reductions on a range of products,” China’s ministry said.
Not all of the specifics the White House announced Sunday have been confirmed by China’s government.
Trump and Xi are expected to meet as many as four times this year, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in January. Their next face-to-face encounter will be when Xi makes a state visit to the White House in September.
